Young Living lemon (citrus limon) essential oil consists of 68 percent d-limonene, a powerful antioxidant. Refreshing and delicious, it may be beneficial for the skin. Lemon essential oil is cold-pressed from the rinds of lemons. Jean Valnet M.D. estimated that it takes 3,000 lemons to produce one kilo of oil. In his book, "The Practice of Aromatherapy", Valnet wrote that lemon is a tonic for supporting the nervous and sympathetic nervous system(2). If you'd like to know why our family uses essential oils, click here.
Ginger root can help with everything from nausea and upset stomach, to supporting a healthy inflammatory response, which can reduce pain of osteoarthritis(3).
- 1 T. filtered water
- 1 tsp. fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 large brown-speckled banana (Bananas that are brown-speckled are very ripe, which means they carry the highest sugar content at that stage = sweet!)
- 1 cup frozen pineapple chunks
- 1/2 thumb's-length of fresh peeled ginger root
- 1 tsp. raw organic honey
- 1 full handful of spinach
- 3 single dandelion green leaves (I don't add too much of these because it is a very bitter leafy green, but has such great health properties as described in the commentary below the pictures.)
- Optional: Add 1 drop of Young Living lemon essential oil into your glass drinking cup. You must use glass because citrus essential oils have chemical compounds that interact with and break down plastic! So, if your blender is polycarbonate plastic, like my VitaMix, then best to add to your glass drinking cup first. If you have a glass blender with no internal (around the blade) plastic components, you should be fine to add-in directly to the blender.
If you have not yet seen my blog post on making the perfect smoothie, head on over there to check it out! There are great tips for a fool-proof smoothie!
- Add the 1 T. filtered water and fresh lemon juice to the bottom of the blender.
- Add the banana, spinach, dandelion greens, and ginger. Next, add the raw honey.
- Top with the pineapple chunks and blend! You want to make sure you start blending at a low speed, then gradually increase the speed until the smoothie is completely creamy.
- Pour into your favorite drinking glass!
Tell me what you think! Did you enjoy this recipe? Please like it and share! Do you want to see more like it? Share in the comments below!