Cilantro (Chinese parsley) is full of phytochemicals, antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals and is also thought to aid in removing heavy metals from the body (arsenic, cadmium, aluminum, lead, and mercury). Heavy metals can bio-accumulate in our tissues, in which cilantro is thought to bind and loosen heavy metals to help the body eliminate them(2).
- 1 pound (12 oz.) organic, gluten-free elbows pasta (I used Bionaturae; however, if you need to avoid soy then try Ancient Harvest Qunioa elbows)
- 1 tablespoon of high-quality extra-virgin olive oil or refined coconut oil (refined = no coconut taste)
- 2 tablespoons grass-fed butter
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot flour or GMO-free cornstarch
- 2 1/2 cups non-homogenized, grass-fed dairy milk (I like the taste of dairy milk in this recipe; however, you can certainly use unsweetened almond or coconut milk.)
- 2 1/2 cups grated organic mexican cheese blend (If you are shredding yourself, mix cheddar and queso fresco or chihuahua cheeses.)
- 1 clove garlic, grated or minced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 firm avocado, diced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 small vine-ripened tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium size red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- Optional: 1 small jalapeno, seeded and chopped (adds a nice amount of heat)
- Fresh cilantro for garnish, whole or minced
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain. (Note: gluten-free pasta tends to be a bit starchier than traditional flour pasta, so make sure to boil in plenty of water and stir frequently for the first few minutes.)
- While the pasta is working, in a large saucepan, heat the olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and chopped peppers and cook until tender, about 6-7 minutes. Add the butter to melt, then stir in the arrowroot flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in the milk and bring to a simmer; season with salt and pepper. Stir in the cheese with a wooden spoon until it melts.
- Toss the pasta with the sauce.
- In a separate bowl, toss the avocado, tomato and jalapeno with the lime juice. Serve the mac n' cheese topped with the tossed mixture.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro.
Tell me what you think! Did you like enjoy recipe? Please like it and share! Do you want to see more like it? Share in the comments below!