I want to share five ways to use leafy greens so you and your family can go a step further with your individual and collective nutrition goals.
- 1. Balance the bitters. Dress up steamed greens with fresh herbs or spices like parsley, oregano and garlic. Try a quick squeeze of fresh lemon juice as the finishing touch. Lastly, spice things up with some of your favorite hot sauce or spicy peppers. Let your favorite flavors guide you; however, my rule of thumb is, the more bitter the green, the more acidic or sweet dressing should be used. This helps to balance out the bitterness.
| || |
*These are not all-inclusive lists!
- 2. Add leafy greens to every breakfast. Mix into your favorite scrambled eggs, smoothies, and avocado toast.
- 3. Swap out iceberg lettuce with dark leafy greens. You can try a 50/50 mix if you are just getting started or a 100% trade if you are ready for it. This rule applies to anything you use lettuce for: sandwiches, salads, burgers, etc.
- 4. Use large leafy greens in place of sandwich bread or wraps. Keep the inside fixings the same. The best leafy greens to use for this that have a mild taste are romaine lettuce and Swiss chard.
- 5. Add leafy greens anytime you make a stir fry, stew, soup, or casserole. They will wilt very quickly in high heat, so feel free to use as much as you are willing. The more, the better.
Whether these are new ideas for you or simply a good reminder (we all need those), I hope you find these helpful and inspiring for you and your family to enjoy!
Tell me what you think! Did you enjoy this post? Please like it and share! What are some ways you incorporate greens? Share with our community in the comments below!