- 2 cups of frozen and cubed mango chunks
- 1 ripe, brown speckled banana
- 3/4 cup of high quality filtered water or coconut water
- 1 thumbs length of ginger, peeled and grated or shaved ( I just shave with a vegetable peeler)
- 3 Tablespoons of probiotic rich yogurt of your choice. I love a good tart yogurt from (White Mountain Foods)
- 1 small bunch of fresh mint, shaved
- 1/2 of a fresh lemon, juiced
Ginger and mint are well document to support the digestive system, by reducing inflammation, reducing bloat, relaxing the muscles and phyochemically, inhibiting cancer cell growth (1,2). Lemon has an atomic structure similar to our digestive juices, which then calls upon the liver to produce bile, which keeps your food moving smoothly through the intestinal tract (3). Add healthy bacteria rich, organic yogurt and you have yourself a multi-functional meal!
- Layer your water, banana, and then mango chunks into your high speed blender.
- Blend until it reaches a thick, sorbet-like consistency.
- Pour into your favorite bowl.
- Drizzle your probiotic yogurt over the top of your smoothie bowl. If you want to make a swirl, take a spatula and drag it in circles or zig-zags.
- Sprinkle your shaved, fresh mint and fresh shaved ginger over top.
- Squeeze out the juice of a half of a lemon over top.
Dig in! Remember, in order to optimize digestion, chew your smoothie bites well before swallowing, as your salivary enzymes are the first and very important step in the digestive process. Read more about that in a blog post I wrote, called "Drink Your Food & Chew Your Liquid," here : http://bit.ly/1N6vFvu